Well...I guess, if I'm going to be honest, I have to say that a lot of self-created bullshit has come between me and my aspiration. I am my worst freaking enemy with regard to being the writer I want to be and always have been. If I could go back and do things differently...
...of course, I wouldn't. Because what if one tiny change to the way I've lived my life resulted in not having my Precocious Daughter? Or my Drummer Boy? Or simply surviving to my current age with my faculties intact?
|Be careful what you wish for. For real.|
Dear dragons: Fuck you.
|Yes, Smaug, even you.|
I know I should do this. I just need to know what my book should be about.
Will you help?
Here are the topics I think I could write a whole book about. About which I think I could write a whole book. Whatever.
Let me know if any of these (or, you know, none of these) would be interesting to you.
- A cookbook of my grandma's recipes, with plenty of anecdotes about what a dork I was as a child.
- A semi-autobiographical account of how a completely mediocre girl from Milwaukee became a blogger single mom in only forty-some years.
- A satirical first-person account of the last 50 years, told from the perspective of an aborted fetus.
- An almost entirely fictional account of a little girl who wanted to be a Mouseketeer and found that international fame came at a heavy price.
- A bunch of stories about growing up in the late 20th century without fully understanding what was going on.
- A searing critique of Reagonomics and its legacy into the 21st century.
I really am going to pick one of these to write about in 2015. I totally invite you to vote on the subject you like (if you like any of them). Otherwise, I'm going to start penning a manuscript about something stupid.
LOL, j/k, they're all stupid.
Help me out, please. I have no idea what I'm doing.